If you have negative siblings in your life, you know already know how difficult they can be. This recipe is designed to help you come up with a way to manage them while making chicken skewers. Follow these steps and you’ll be on your way to learn how to deal with these people better! Remember, when it comes to building relationships it takes a while. while you won’t have a perfect relationship overnight, this recipe will help you to learn ways to manage them better. Happy cooking!
Recipe: Chicken Souvlaki Skewers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, plus 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 3 plum tomatoes, quartered
- ½ small red onion, cut ¾ inch thing and separated into slices
- 4 whole-wheat pitas
- Garnish with fresh oregano leaves
1.Whisk together lemon zest, 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, half the garlic, the oregano, 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add chicken, and toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, for 45 minutes. Arm yourself with strategies for ways to be assertive but not defensive toward them. You can’t change their behaviors but you can change the way you respond to them. Practice this during this step and decide what you’ll say. Try disarming them by telling a joke or mentioning something that you both can agree on. You can choose to act like an adult, even if he can’t.
2. Meanwhile, stir together remaining lemon juice and garlic, the cucumber, yogurt, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve. Practice saying out loud your peace: For instance: I wish we had more mutual trust in our relationship like I have with my friends. Speak your peace to them when they are showing their overbearing, bossy behavior. Practice this now, during this step so that when the weekend arrives you’ll be prepared. But be sure you wait until you’re not angry to tell her how you feel.
3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place in oven on the center rack. Bake for 10 minutes, turn over once. Bake for 10-15 minutes longer (20-30 minutes maximum of baking time total depending on size of chicken chunks).Thread chicken, tomatoes, and onion onto 4 metal skewers. Brush with remaining 2 teaspoons oil, and season with pepper. During this step, decide that you will not take it personally. Practice removing yourself emotionally from their negative behavior. It’s okay to walk away or change the subject. Remember, just because they are acting badly doesn’t mean you have to. Say out loud, I WILL NOT TAKE ANYTHING THEY SAY PERSONALLY!
4. Serve skewers with charred pitas and cucumber-yogurt sauce. Garnish with oregano leaves. Enjoy that you have a solid plan in place to deal with your negative siblings. You can and WILL survive this family event by following the steps in this recipe!