Have a boss you can’t stand? Here’s the recipe to help build a better relationship, and make your coworkers happy too.
Baked Doughnuts with Chocolate Glaze:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk1
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt2
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (90g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons water
- rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a donut pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg together in a medium bowl. Set aside. During this step come up with 3 new strategies to show your boss your innovation and initiative. Set up a monthly 1:1 meeting, pitch 1 new idea a month, ask for new volunteer opportunities. Write down your ideas as they come to you.
- Whisk the egg, brown sugar, milk, and yogurt together until smooth. Add the melted butter and vanilla, whisking until fully combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix. The batter will be very thick. During this step: Decide how you can be more open in your communication with your boss. What are some ways you can demonstrate that you are open to effective communication with them? Speak to them once a day, say hello, be more human with them. Etc.
- Spoon the batter into the donut cavities using a large zipped-top bag. Just makes this process easier and cleaner. Cut a corner off the bottom of the bag and pipe the batter into each donut cup, filling 2 ∕ 3 of the way full. During this step tell yourself that you are going to stop trying to be friends with your boss, that will not happen, nor should it really. There needs to be a level of professionalism that can only happen from not having a friendship with your boss. Instead work on improving communication and trust between the two of you. During this step, decide that you’re okay with not being friends. In fact, this will make everyone’s life in the office easier. Boundaries are more firm and more established when this is the case. Is there a coworker who you can become better friends with to provide you with that friendship that you are looking for?
- Bake for 9–10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from the pan and bake the remaining donut batter. Allow the donuts to slightly cool before glazing.
- Make the chocolate glaze: Place the chocolate chips, butter, corn syrup, and water in a medium bowl. Melt in 20 second increments in the microwave, stirring after each time, until completely melted and smooth. Dip the tops of the donuts into the chocolate glaze and then cover with sprinkles. Pour the sprinkles into a deep bowl and dipped the tops of the donuts into it. Enjoy!! Pack up these doughnuts and take them into the office and be the office hero! Be sure to take one into your boss and give them one :)