Yesterday I took my dog, Copper for a long walk. It was one of those beautiful and blustery October afternoons. The air was crisp, leaves were changing, and pumpkins were perched on stoops. Such a gorgeous day! It got me thinking that I should do a blog and video post about change! (video here)
What is it about change? Most of us are scared of it, detest it, and try our hardest to keep it from happening. Its important to remember that change is our only constant. We can spend our whole lives fighting it and remain so scared of it that we forget to live for today. I suggest that you embrace change and look at it as an opportunity for adventure!
How should you prepare and deal with life’s changes?
1. Talk about it! I find that most of life’s changes are opportunities to talk. Don’t allow your recent job loss or breakup to be an elephant in your living you. Talk about it! Feeling excited, scared or sad? Go ahead, verbalize how you feel; it’s okay to admit that you are scared. Now it’s time to make an action plan. If your life has changed you must adjust.
2. Action Plan! This is the fun part! Are you pregnant or moving to a new city? Decide what your next step will be and get to work! Keep in mind that changes are NOT bad. They provide an opportunity for growth and development. Think about what you want the next few months of your life to look like. I’m a big fan of writing out short term and long term goals. Be sure to ALWAYS add “I will remain flexible” to your goal list….all of you should remember to remain flexible, especially since your life may change again!
3. Cook your way through your Adventure! My therapeutic suggestion is that if you are feeling scared about change, go cook something. Take your changes into the kitchen! Learn to look at change as an opportunity for adventure. This must be practiced, but soon you’ll be a pro. The recipe I’ve provided for you today has a purpose. Besides being really cute, it involves stages. During each stage breathe deeply and enjoy the process. Repeat this mantra “Cooking calms me and change calms me.” If you remain focused and engaged on this recipe, you’ll be able to tackle it calmly. Still feeling uneasy? Repeat. Repeat as often as you need until you are confident that you can tackle any changes life throws at you!
Enjoy the process my friends and congratulations on embracing the changes in your life!
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 drops orange food coloring
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- 1 large block melting milk chocolate
- 1 large block melting white chocolate
- 1 package Halloween Oreos
- 1 bag of caramel flavored Bugles
- 36 pretzel sticks
- Parchment paper
- In a small bag add coconut, water, and food coloring. Shake until coconut is tinted. Set aside until ready to use.
- Melt chocolate block according to instructions, be sure to melt appropriately without burning the chocolate. Once smooth, open Bugle bag and pick out Bugle’s with points for the tops of the hats.
- Arrange cookies on baking sheet. Dip Bugles in melted chocolate until fully covered. Once covered attach to cookies by adding a dollop of chocolate to tops of cookies. Hold for 5 seconds until firm. Repeat until all hats have been placed.
- Melt white chocolate according to instructions, be sure to melt appropriately without burning. While chocolate is melting, lay out a sheet of parchment paper. Once chocolate is done dribble puddles of white chocolate onto paper.
- Use a spoon and make puddle different shapes. Immediately place a cookie hat onto white chocolate before it hardens. Also, lay a pretzel broom and tinted coconut on end of pretzel broom.
- Repeat until out of hats. Chill for 15 minutes to set and store in air tight container.
Adapted from: A Taste of Home